Tuesday, June 08, 2004

SIDE TRIP 2: Jakarta, Indonesia

It's sad to eat breakfast alone.

Especially when you're alone in a hotel in a foreign land. Even if
the hotel is really nice and had a great selection in its buffet
table.

This morning, I was trying to decide between the chicken curry (na
naman? aaaargh!!!) and the fried sea bass when a soft voice from
behind put a stop to my dilly-dallying. When I turned around, I found
an elderly Caucasian lady talking to me in Bahasa Indonesia. Everyone
here assumes I am also Indonesian. Primed, I immediately recited my
rehearsed line: "Tida bisa Bahasa Indonesia", informing her I don't
speak the language. Seeing the puzzled look on her face, I followed
it up with "Orang Filipina" which meant I am from the Philippines.
Her face cleared and split into a really nice smile. "Magandang
umaga!" she said. It was my turn to be surprised and greeted
her "Magandang umaga din po" in return. Switching to English, she
asked if I wanted to try the chocolate porridge which she said is a
traditional Indonesian breakfast. I murmured "maybe later" politely
(I don't really like porridge that much) and brought my food to a
table near the window. I was wolfing down the sea bass when someone
tapped me gently on the shoulder and put a bowl of the blasted
porridge with fresh coconut milk beside my plate. "Here," the lady
firmly said, "try this. You might like it." And with a smile, she
went back to her own breakfast table, occasionally glancing my way if
indeed I was enjoying the porridge. To my surprise I did and found it
really delicious! I smiled my thanks to her.

Then

I suddenly missed my own mother who would hover around us at
breakfast when we were kids, making sure we ate right.

Much later, I learned the lady was the owner of the hotel and that
she was from Holland. But I will remember her forever for keeping
that old world tradition of the kindly innkeeper, putting meaning to
the words "service" and "personal touch".

Miki

Jakarta at Night
Image hosting by Photobucket

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site
»

8/16/06, 12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. provigil bigping de Ambien com ambian online pharmacy water diet cholesterol Online marketing client guestbook page Hutchinson kansas motel african american divorce rate Fluoxetine sideeffects Old county school houses

2/4/07, 3:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home