Tuesday, June 08, 2004

SIDE TRIP 6: Nha Trang, Vietnam

Wake up call at 3:45am.
Leave the hotel at 4:15am.
Depart Hanoi at 6:10am.
Arrive Cam Ranh at 7:50am.

I was going to the resort city of Nha Trang but we deplaned in Cam Ranh some 40 kilometers away. The Nha Trang airport will be closed permanently because there is no more room for expansion (it is the only airport I know that's located smack in the middle of a tiny city!).

From the window, I saw a bevy of pretty girls in graceful ao dais near the foot of the stairs waving banners and flowers, with cameramen and photographers right behind. Hmmm... there must be a celebrity among the passengers (obviously not me!). But when I stepped off the plane, one of the girls gave me the sweetest smile and a long-stemmed rose. Whoa! What's happening? I thought perhaps she mistook me for Dao Ming Si come to visit Vietnam. He he. Kapaaaal !!! When I turned the corner going to the arrival area, a drum and bugle corps and more ao dai-clad ladies were waiting, and a TV (?) reporter shoved a mic in my face, blabbering away in Vietnamese! Hello? OK ka lang? When I answered in English, she promptly turned her back on me and shoved the mic to the person next in line. Ay, bastos!

My grand delusion was thus rudely blown away, more so when I learned ako pala ay nasa inaugural flight to Cam Ranh and that they were having this grand powwow to celebrate the opening of the airport. Uh, OK.

So much for being a big TV star in Viet Nam.

Miki

CAM RANH AIRPORT
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home