Tuesday, January 17, 2006

HAPPY TRIP 3: I Not Stupid

Over the last two Saturday nights, I’d chanced upon great viewing fare that was quite a relief from the usual landscape of formulaic and irritating shows on free TV. The long-standing network war between ABS-CBN and GMA has led to a kind of programming that verge on the ridiculous. Same formats, same lazy productions, same convoluted melodrama, same tired plots (or lack of it). Makes me want to bang their skulls and holler “Hello? Anybody home?” I not stupid!

Lately, I “discovered” ABC5 as a good viewing alternative. And that was only because I wanted at first to see how the Pinoy contestants are faring in the hit American reality TV shows Rockstar INXS (MiG Ayesa) and So You Think You Can Dance (Melody Lacayanga and Ryan Conferido). It gives me a nice feeling to see Pinoys showing the world what kind of terrific stuff we are made of. Last year, I also watched American Idol only because there were Pinoys competing.

Then two Saturdays ago, I accidentally caught a gem of a movie late at night. Surprise, surprise! It was a Singaporean film! Horrors, I thought. Not another bunch of buhaghag-free ladies fighting to be chief cook in the palace! Thankfully it was not! The little film was called “Chicken Rice War”, about two feuding families engaged in one-upmanship about who makes the best Chicken Rice dish. It had a lot to say about relationships and being our own man (or woman). Along the way, small everyday, ordinary things are tackled with great humor and care.

Last Saturday they showed another comedy, “I Not Stupid”, a well-crafted allegory for the social realities of modern-day Singapore. It poked fun on Singapore’s much-maligned “obedience” and how the push for over-achievement is affecting children negatively, including contemplating suicide in the face of “failure” in school.

These kinds of “small” films illustrate that shows need not be expensive and outlandish to be entertaining. Good scripts and dead-on acting carry them through. And they say a lot about the status quo without moralizing and resorting to a hard-sell approach.

My only complaint with the latter was a reference to “Filipino maids” in one of the dialogues. Then again, I guess being politically-correct is far from the Singaporean’s concept of what is correct behavior in their context.

CHICKEN RICE WAR and I NOT STUPID
Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com



3 Comments:

Blogger jory said...

mao dili na ko gatan-aw ug TV kay mapili na lang gyud ang worthy to watch... puro na lang teleserye... puro masamang balita... but on a lighter note, maraming magandang series sa ABC5 ha...

MIKI FOR BLOGGER OF THE MONTH!!!!

1/19/06, 12:55 PM  
Blogger Miki said...

tenks jors!!! heheh
kaw gud...

1/19/06, 5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

picked up this movie in KL a few years back by accident.
I have given and recommended this movie to most of my friends. It is by a long shot the most funny and hilarious movie i have seen in years.

If only i could find the DVD version :(

5/12/07, 10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home