Monday, February 27, 2006

FIRST TRIP 7: People Power

Someone asked me:
Where were you during the 1986 People Power revolution?

I was in Aklan working for an NGO
It was my second month as a Community Organizer
Working with poor farmers and fisherfolks
Towards community problem-solving on a self-reliant basis

It was my first job, fresh out of university
Wet behind the ears and struggling to make a difference

And I have been in community development work ever since
Couldn't believe it has been 20 years since!

Have I made any difference at all?
What made me stay on in development work?

I don't have ready answers
But I still wish I'd live to see the day
When people do something
Simply because it is the right thing
In pursuit of a common good.



EDSA 1986
Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

3 Comments:

Blogger jory said...

YOU SURELY MADE A DIFFERENCE IN THE LIVES OF OTHERS. sa imong work, you have changed the lives of many by keeping them informed.

And sa 1986 EDSA?? I was three years old. Probably, nagdula-dula pa ko adto ug nagdede pa ko. hahaha!!!

2/27/06, 5:53 PM  
Blogger Miki said...

three years old!
bwahahahaha!!!

suddenly, i thought of methuselah ;p

2/27/06, 6:21 PM  
Blogger jory said...

hahaha!!! kagrabe ba sad kung si methuselah... basta, ang mahalaga ay youthful ang spirit... ug dili lang sa spirit... pati sa kama... hahaha!!! joke!!!

2/27/06, 7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home