Friday, June 10, 2005

SIDE TRIP 15: Chennai, India 2

BLAST FROM THE PAST (INDIA OF OLD)

I could have sworn I was Manuel L. Quezon come back to life. One look at the car and I was ready to believe I must be in a Back-to-the-Future remake. I've never been fond of vintage cars, so to actually ride in one was a bit disorienting. If you watch reruns of old movies on TV and see those large, ancient cars - - that's exactly what I rode in from the airport to the hotel. Bongga, heheh.

Upon arrival at the hotel, the illusion was further heightened when the car door was opened with a flourish by a character straight out of maharajah epics (naka-costume ang doorman, har har har!) who later ushered me into this huge lobby that evoked memories of golden days past, when unabashed opulence ruled. And they don't build hotels the same way anymore I guess - - where the rooms are enormous and the furnishings ornate and rich. I can actually get lost on the king-sized bed! Alas, ako ra usa. Walay kadulog. Waaaah!!!

But hmmmm.... I think I can get used to the good life. Wahehehe.

CHENNAI CAR
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

GRT GRAND DAYS HOTEL
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

GRT GRAND DAYS HOTEL LOBBY
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

CHENNAI AUTO
Image hosted by Photobucket.com