Saturday, December 15, 2007

BAD TRIP 15: Forty-something

I hate it that guys in their 20's who work out in the same gym as I do have such great bodies, even if they don’t work out as much as I do. They’re young, I tell myself glumly. Their muscles develop faster while mine remains a puny lump. I kill myself on the treadmill and yet these stupid flabs on my belly wouldn’t go away. Aaaargh! I wish I could trade-in this forty-year-old carcass for a newer model, wahehehe.

Then I hear these youngsters whine incessantly about everything: school, parents, money (mainly lack thereof), and a whole lot of other miseries, real or imagined, and I smile. Ey guys, been there, done that. Don’t wanna go back to when I was an insecure twenty-year-old dork.

Blame it on a society that puts premium on youth -- and people will do crazy things to try and halt the advancing years. But what's wrong with being in my middle years, I ask myself. I have a good job, great friends and, more importantly, a loving family and a whiz kid for a daughter… that’s more than what most people have. Age be damned! The trick is in finding what’s good and beautiful in your life as it is now.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

there are actually people who look a lot better with the addition of years on their lives than those 20-something children who think they're gods of physical perfection.

i for one never liked myself when i was a kid in my twenties. i was gangly, awkward and shifted from one look to another as many times as there are hair products on the grocery shelves.

years later as someone in his late thirties, i have felt more a sense of who i am. i've become comfortable with what i have become and amazingly i feel a lot better about myself. i even get more notice now as compared to my awkward years considering that i've put on weight in my midsection.

age be damned indeed and i am glad i am no more the bungling youth that i was before.

12/24/07, 10:37 AM  
Blogger Miki said...

actually, i also like how i look now more than when i was in my 20s
although i really do have to work harder at keeping those love handles at bay, wahehehehe

12/26/07, 9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home