Friday, January 25, 2008

SIDE TRIP 41: Impeccably Imperfect

Is it possible that they first subtitled the movie in Chinese and then translated it back to English? For how else can one explain the strange fact that Wesley Snipes' “The Contractor” came out as "The Agreement Person" in its subtitles? Wahahaha!

There I was, bored to tears on the Cebu to Ormoc fastcraft, and trying to amuse myself by making up stories in my mind about my fellow passengers. It didn’t work. So I focused on the movie playing overhead instead.

The sound was bad and I could barely hear the dialogue. Good thing it had subtitles so I thought I could follow what was going on. Not so. The subtitles had very little resemblance to the spoken lines, the sentences mangled beyond recognition.

After ten minutes, I gave up. But not before I heard Wesley Snipes say “Are you OK?” and reading “How have you been?” on the subtitles.

Perfect.

8 Comments:

Blogger kendi said...

i remember watching a pirated harry potter dvd with the same frustratingly funny subtitles. and it's not just that, i can't turn it off. so i had to watch the film 'til end with those crappy lines on screen. ;p

1/26/08, 7:41 PM  
Blogger Miki said...

well... for 100 pesos, what can we expect? hehehehehe

1/26/08, 7:57 PM  
Blogger Panaderos said...

First time to comment here. first of all, congrats on such a fine blog.

It's funny what you observed about the movie. It's pretty obvious that the person who did the translation had no regard for the context.

I hope you won't mind if I link to your blog. Thanks.

2/1/08, 2:39 AM  
Blogger Miki said...

@panaderos: hi! thanks for visiting. and yes, let's link up. your blog is very interesting. i especially like the short quips... :)

2/1/08, 9:22 AM  
Blogger Panaderos said...

Thanks, Miki. I just completed setting up a link to your blog.

2/1/08, 10:27 AM  
Blogger Miki said...

same here, heheh. just linked you up. ;p

2/1/08, 3:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I bought a bootlegged copy of Warlords a couple of weeks ago, it stars Jet Li and being a shadow-kick fan, I immediately fed it to my computer. The blasted thing was, the movie is in chinese and the subtitle, though in english, is the equivalent of computer spaghetti-- rendering the movie completely unwatchable unless you make up the dialogues yourself. Haay, forty bucks down the drain.

2/1/08, 4:59 PM  
Blogger Miki said...

nyahahaha!!! you get your money's worth, i suppose, Fence wahehehe. hmmm... why can't they bring down the cost of original DVDs, i wonder. but until they do, people will continue to buy pirated copies...

2/1/08, 5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home