Saturday, March 01, 2008

HAPPY TRIP 13: Aftermath

The sun is out today in Eastern Samar, after weeks of heavy rains. Yehey! My room leaked, my things got soaked. I’ve got no shoes to wear, all of them soaking wet. The damp is killing me, made worse by the smell of decay.

But I have no right to complain; they’re just a minor irritation. A lot more people are worse off – their homes washed out by the floods, their livelihoods destroyed. People are getting sick from contaminated water. They don’t have food to eat, their crops gone. They get crumbs from handouts – two kilos of rice, one can of sardines, two packs of noodles – not even enough for one day. What about the months to come?

Still, people are resilient. Today, all of them are out, hanging clothes to dry, fixing their houses, sweeping away the debris. All done with a smile, thanking the Lord that the sun is out today.

6 Comments:

Blogger Panaderos said...

This is a tribute to their courage and strength of character, the ability to pick up the pieces in the face of adversity. I wish I could be as strong as these people.

Pards, I tagged you. You can find the details on my blog. It's an easy and simple tag. Thanks.

3/2/08, 1:12 PM  
Blogger Miki said...

iniisip ko pa lang na walang makain yung anak kong nagugutom... buti na lang, survivor talaga ang pinoy. madiskarte.

3/2/08, 2:20 PM  
Blogger Sreisaat said...

I feel for them, KuyaMiki... same thing happened to my kasimanwas in Capiz :( The thing is, wala gid balita about it (I didn't see on TVP world) - mas importante pa guro ang Gretchen story kesa sa mga flood victims.

3/5/08, 11:19 AM  
Blogger Miki said...

mao gyud
mas importante ang balitang gretchen wahehehehe

just like when the tonle sap swells no?

3/6/08, 4:14 PM  
Blogger midsy said...

i can identify.
hmm. nakakakonsensya talaga :/

kuya miki (i should change the way i call you. haha), i caught a glimpse of eastern samar, particularly oras on a morning show. i think it was PGMA's channel ofsort. hmmm. nakakalungkot talaga. my parents were shocked to see their disposition, the shanties at tawagan and all.

sobrang humbling talaga. i'm grateful for every minute i've spent in esamar.. it truly has helped me grow mature about life's realities. grounded na kumbaga.

sigh talaga...

3/25/08, 1:36 AM  
Blogger Miki said...

bwahahahaha!!!
kuya miki ka dyan
aliw ako
hehehehe

ang masasabi ko lang:
babalik ka rin
har har har har!!!

3/25/08, 8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home